Thursday, May 1, 2008

JUST WHAT YOU¨VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

HELLO WORLD!! I promised my younger, blonder sister that I would write some of this blog thing as a special birthady present to her. She turns 23 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! So finally you will all get a much awaited piece of my mind (can I hear groaning.....).



Hmmmmm........so a few things about Ecuador that you may or may not know that we have discovered since our arrival:

  • There are 100´s of weird and wonderful fruits here that we had never heard of before. My personal favourite is this thing that looks like a strawberry that needs a good wax job. I´ll try and post a picture of one soon.

  • You can buy an almuerzo (set lunch) here for $1.50 - $2.00 US. This includes fresh juice, soup, a main (rice, random unidentifiable meat and salad - which consists of a slice of tomato or a slither of lettue) and dessert! That´s a bloody bargain of you ask me.

  • Bottled beer is cheaper than bottled water....this is a good excuse.

  • People will give you directions to places regardless of whether or not they actually know where it is.

  • Regardless of trip length, there is still space for more passengers on a bus if the door can close (note: the floor above the motor really burns your arse).

Wilson and I have just completed our 6th week at the Spanish school here and now have only one more week to go. We are itching to hit the road. We have discovered that it isn´t possible to become fluent at a language in 6 weeks, but are hoping that one more week of lessons should iron out any remaining creases... I have also noticed that it is very important to use the correct person when speaking. My host mother was both slightly offended and amused when I said, "You need to buy deodorant" instead of "I need to buy deodorant".. Ooops, I think she forgave me.

Since this could quite likely be all that I ever write in this blog (due to my sheer laziness) I hope that you have savoured every last morsel. I will tell Wilson to write some more interesting stuff once we hit the road.

I hear that cheese in NZ is now $15 a block...!! Is it true?

2 comments:

Tessa's mum Rach said...

Hi Tess glad you're enjoying a few hairy fruits. Yes you can find 1 kg blocks of cheese in NZ for $15 now, but you can still get the same size for under $10 if you're not fussy about the brand. There is talk every day in the news about rising food and petrol prices.

Suse said...

Yeah, Wilson- with the ever increasing cost of cheese and petrol, and the fact that Govt just bought Tranzrail (aka Toll) tNZ will probably closely resemble Communist USSR when you return. Mat says "we use mozzerella cheese only; it helps stretch the budget a bit further!".
Tess - awesome that you wrote. I was forgetting what your voice sounded like!.

Ah Hola Amigos, Bueno Burrito to you both. Keep the updates a-comin, as they've become essential regular viewing.. The lightning episode was a bit extreme tho. Anyway, we miss you guys back here, Susie has dedicated an entire room of the house to your memory. There are pics of you both, and candles that will remain lit until your return... Keep up the happy travels, take care out there. Has the phoney planet guide come in handy yet? I better go, I think the curtains in the 'shrine room' just caught alight...